Thursday 8 September 2016

It's wine, but not as we know it.

Or rather, not as I remember it.

Two years into my WSET Diploma and studying has grinded to a halt under a massive pile of nappies, baby food and breast pads.  That said, we are pretty much out the other side with the wee lady hitting one. So sometimes, I have my evenings to myself. Sometimes.

Cue screaming infant...

So the benefits of having a baby include (apart from the obvious), having a compulsory (temporary) hiatus in consuming wine (I think there are some health benefits) EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT.  Also, it gives me a break from studying as 50% of my brain sodded off to Disneyland, Champagne in hand, never to be seen again, at around 3 weeks after conception.   So I'm working on finding that again soon. Hopefully alongside my palate. All damn wine tastes different now.

So my approach is somewhat more scattered as I approach this blog, despite having a long while to plan it. It's literally what plops in my shopping trolley each week.  Today, its a red and a white from Aldi.

Clare Valley Riesling (Rees-ling), Australia, £6.99

Some people freak when they hear Riesling as they think it's sweet. Not always so. This is bone-dry, incredibly zesty with zippy grapefruit and lime. This needs to be lovely and chilled, in my opinion, to calm the lime down. But if you like a zesty Sauvignon Blanc, I'd say give this a try. Plus, it's only £6.99 for a wine from the beautiful, Clare Valley, which is famous for its sublime wines, thanks to it's cooling breezes and cold nights. Which is good for happy grapes. Definitely needs a few hours in the bottom of the fridge soon first. Nice one, Aldi. I'd have this any day of the week*. 

Stellenbosch Cape Red Blend, South Africa, £5.49

Stellenbosch is another big hitter both in terms of wine regions and wine styles.  This one has a screw top (easy access - tick) and promises a medium to full bodied red made from Grenache (fruity and alcoholic), Shiraz (pepper spice) and Mourvedre (full bodied, rustic), otherwise known as a GSM blend. It advises consumption with rich or cured meats. Yes, maybe. Its not as full bodied or complex as I'd have liked but for the price its a nice red with a little warmth of spice. I wouldn't really have to eat with it either. Maybe one for slightly cooler weather as the 14.5% does warm your cheeks a little.
All-in-all a nice, well priced red to have in stock. 

*Key
Monday wine - It doesn't really matter what it tastes like. 
Tuesday wine - Optimistic, something quite light. 
Wednesday - Mid week party! Lets drink something fine to celebrate!
Thursday - Slightly regret Wednesday, so something light to sip on.
Friday - Surely the best wine? The whole bottle? I have a husband to help me!  
Saturday - Lets sit together and enjoy a good bottle of anything/pretend we are 30 again.
Sunday - Oh crap look its Monday tomorrow. We've drank everyday this week, let's not do that again.    

No comments:

Post a Comment