Monday 9 December 2013

Overload

I’ve already reached the point where I am thinking I probably need to stop eating gingerbread hourly or ease up on the whisky. Christ, it’s not even the 10th. I push back thoughts of January 2014’s abstinence and open a few more bottles… all in the name of education (addiction). 

I decided to give this online ordering by-the-box malarkey a go again; previously burnt by not reading the t’s and c’s and ending up with 12 wines a month in 2010 (none of which were particularly inspiring), I chose my supplier carefully. Virgin, Naked wines, all the big retailers… you are spoilt for choice with various deals and money-off vouchers. This time, I chose Laithwaites (make sure you Google for voucher codes before you make the purchase). I chose them because of their selection in terms of unusual countries; India, Georgia, Romania.  A good chance to try something different. Customer service was good too. 

I love a good sweet wine. But to avoid death-by-Tokaji Aszu this Christmas, I selected a Canadian ice wine. I’ve wanted to get my mitts on a Canadian for a while however I couldn’t find a bottle of standard, still wine (unless I wanted to fork out £150+ for a case).
So, I have reverted to the more accessible ice wine. It does what it says on the tin – the grapes (or rather, the water inside them) are frozen and removed. This leaves behind the concentrated acids and sugars, making for a lusciously sweet wine that’s low in alcohol. It is made with Vidal which is a ‘hybrid’ grape. That just means it’s a hybrid of two different vine varieties, used because of its hardiness in the cold weather. It promises peach, apricots and lychees – and you’re not disappointed.  At a tenner for 200ml it’s probably not going to be on your weekly shop. But if you like a sweet tipple – it’s worth parting with the cash for an occasion.
You can have it with pudding (one review recommends cheesecake), but I’d just go at it alone as the bottle says, as an aperitif or after dessert.

If you don’t want to order a batch and would like to try something new, here are some grapes that aren’t as well-known, but utterly scrumptious. They are also easy to get hold of, both from Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference range.

Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference - Albariño 2010, Rías Baixas, Spain (£8.49, Sainsbury’s)
Albariño (al-baa-ree-nyo) is a white grape grown in north west Spain; in this case Rías Baixas. Albariño is my new favourite; medium bodied, aromatic, fresh acidity, peach and apricot. I could sup on this all afternoon and it’s a definite guest pleaser. This brand has been given a ‘best buy’ from Decanter.com which is a nod to the great value offered. Mind you, it has gone up over a quid since the award, but I’d say still good value. Great with food too but keep it light so you don’t drown out the aromas.

Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference - Fairtrade Pinotage 2012 (£8.49, Sainsbury’s)
Pinotage is a signature South African variety, a crossing of Pinot Noir and Cinsault. I love the colour of this wine, a pleasing purple. This variety can smell smoky and like burnt rubber, but this example doesn’t. It smells and tastes of ripe, juicy plums, blackberry, with hints of vanilla and a lovely warm oakiness. There is a definite herbal element but I couldn’t put my finger on it. Tannins can be harsh in a Pinotage but these are soft and don’t dry your gums. It’s not won me over completely, so I’ll probably share this one….! 

Happy drinking!



* Pinotage label stain optional extra

No comments:

Post a Comment